Here’s a thought I’d like to share…
Mardi Gras is over, and Lent has begun.
Often people that observe the season of Lent choose to give up something for those 40 days. When we choose to give up something, we are also choosing to be willing to bump up against the habit energy we have around that thing. It’s dealing with this old, conditioned, habitual energy that is the biggest part of any sacrifice we might make.
So, in that vein, here’s a list of 20 things you might consider giving up for Lent….
- Guilt – I cannot change what has happened. I can only learn from it and make choices that are in line with my values. Today is a new day and the past is behind.
- Fear – Fear squeezes out love. They cannot operate in the same place at the same time.
- The need to please everyone – I must live true to my deepest truth. The outcome of that is not up to me.
- Envy – I am blessed. My value is not found in my possessions, but in my relationship with Truth. Envy squeezes out gratitude and blocks feeling joy in the happiness of others.
- Impatience – Trusting in the process and letting go of outcomes, I become at peace with the way things are right now.
- Sense of entitlement – The world does not owe me anything. God does not owe me anything. I live in humility and grace.
- Bitterness and Resentment – The only person I am hurting by holding on to these is myself.
- Blame – I am not going to pass the buck. I will take responsibility for my actions. I cannot learn anything by blaming others.
- Gossip and Negativity – This only increases the negative energy in the world. I will minimize my contact with people who are negative and toxic bringing other people down.
- Comparison – Comparison is the near enemy of sympathetic joy (the joy in the happiness of others) – it looks to see if we have more than, the same as, or less than another.
- Fear of failure – You don’t succeed without experiencing failure. Just make sure you fail forward.
- A spirit of poverty – This is a form of grasping or clinging. It is distrust in the abundance of the Universe or of God. Know that whether or not you feel it, there is always more than enough and never a lack.
- Feelings of unworthiness – Old stories sound true when you get caught in the ego. This is Doubt and Self-Pity combined.
- Doubt – This is the great hindrance! This is the ego at full tilt. It is an indicator that you are in a “me” mindset. Expand your heart. Trust the journey of connection and awakening.
- Self-pity – Like Doubt, Self-Pity means we feel separate and are in a “me” mindset. Allow your heart to open and let your aloneness meet the vastness. Walking through this gives us the ability to help others do the same.
- Retirement – As long as you are still breathing, you are here for a reason. That does not come to an end until the day we die.
- Excuses – A wise man once said, if you need an excuse, any excuse will do.
- Lack of counsel – Wise decisions are rarely made in a vacuum. We all need mentors and sounding boards.
- Pride – Confidence and Self Assuredness are not prideful. Pride means you’ve edged out the support of the Universe/God, and others. (EGO = Edging God Out)
- Worry – We are not in control and worrying will not help. It either will happen, or it won’t.
The list could include more, but attending to these would make an amazing start.
What would you be willing to courageously look at for the next 40 days? Is there a habit or propensity you have that you know gets in the way of you living the life you deeply want?
For me, it’s impatience. I’ve committed to myself that I will keep my thumb on the pulse of this energy in my life. I want to learn what triggers it, what’s it keeps me from seeing, and how it manifests in my day to day living.
Wishing us all the courage to look at that which does not serve us or those around us,